Armed Forces Covenant | Things to know and help available
Coronavirus status: OPEN
The Armed Forces Covenant is a promise by the nation ensuring that those who serve or have served in the armed forces, and their families, are treated fairly.
Things to know and help available
- Avoid insurance cancellation fees and protect your ‘no claims’ bonus.
- The Armed Forces Railcard offers your family up to 1/3 off rail fares.
- Spouses/partners can apply for the Defence Discount Service and AF Rail Card.
- Joining Forces - 3 credit unions provide savings accounts and loans to the AF and their families.
- Avoid paying cancellation fees for broadband/media packages when posted overseas or to other parts of UK.
- Links available to advice on ways to help maintain children’s education.
- Service Pupil Premium - currently £300 per year for children of Service Personnel (SP) in England.
- School Admissions Code provides information for children of Service Personnel (SP).
- You can apply for school places in advance when returning from overseas.
- Tax-free Childcare available to working families across the UK.
- Affordable Home Ownership Schemes available through the government.
- Own Your Own Home provides a range of schemes for Service Personnel (SP).
- The Joint Service Housing Advice Office provides advice for SP and dependants.
- A new scheme to support Spousal Employment was announced in September 2018.
- Defence Relationship Management and MOD’s Partner.
- Employment Steering Group exploring what more employers can do to support spouses.
- Department of Work and Pensions have initiatives linked to Jobcentre Plus services for spouses.
- It’s possible to claim NI credits for time spent accompanying your partner abroad.
- MOD Enduring Families Free Mail Service (authorised for PJHQ named Ops).
- All 3 Credit reference agencies recognise BFPO numbers.
- Families and friends of SP can send packets up to 2 kg, free of charge, to PJHQ named Ops.
- This service is one-way only from the UK/BFPOs to PJHQ Ops.
- BFPO numbers can be converted to UK postcodes.
- NHS for the Armed Forces – find out about healthcare and advice for Service Personnel (SP) and families.
- Ministry of Defence and Department of Health support services can be found on GOV.UK.
- Mental Health Support for the AF community available on GOV.UK and NHS Choices.
- The NHS can also provide mental health support through the Big White Wall.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Age Ranges
- All ages
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Contact for details.
- Last Updated
This record has a record administrator assigned.