Requesting an EHC Needs Assessment

My Education Health and Care Needs Assessment Booklet

The "My Education Health and Care Needs Assessment booklet" aims to easily explain what an EHC Plan is, who can help and the assessment process. It was created by the VIBE group of young people, co-produced with written content and illustrations by the young people and supported by youth workers in the Family Support Service. 

My Education Health and Care Needs Assessment booklet (PDF 2.61 MB)


Requesting an EHC Needs Assessment

If you and the professionals who support your child believe she or he requires support which is over and above that ordinarily available from mainstream resources, a request may be made for an EHC Needs Assessment. The request will usually be made by your child’s education setting, but parents can make the request themselves. If you wish to make the request yourself, we will need to contact your child’s education setting to find out what support they have provided, what effect that support has had, and your child’s rate of improvement. All requests are carefully considered and take into account all support provided so far and how your child has responded to that support. Within 6 weeks of a request being received by the Integrated SEND Service, you will be informed whether or not an assessment will be carried out.

Template letters for schools, parents, carers and young people to request an EHC assessment can be found under the "Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessments" section of our Forms and Templates page.

Go to Forms and Templates


Schools requesting High Needs Block Funding (HNBF)

In order to request High Needs Block Funding for a pupil or student who does not have either a Statement or EHC Plan, education settings (pre-schools, schools or colleges) must be complete and return a High Needs Block Funding request form and return it along with relevant documentation to: The Integrated SEND Service, County Hall, Aylesbury HP20 1UZ.

The High Needs Block Funding request form can be found under the "High Needs Block Funding" section of our Forms and Templates page.

Go to Forms and Templates


Who can bring children and young people to the attention of the Local Authority?

Usually, it will be the child's or young person’s education setting who will ask the Local Authority to conduct an EHC Needs Assessment, However, anyone can bring a child or young person who has (or may have) Special Educational Needs to the attention of the Local Authority, particularly where they think an EHC Needs Assessment may be necessary.  This includes the child’s parent, carer, or the young person (aged over 16 but under 25) themselves.

Read more about professionals - bringing children and young people to the attention of the Local Authority


Documents, Forms and Templates 

View Forms and Templates