Preparing for Adulthood (Transition)

Welcome to our pages on for Preparing for Adulthood (also known as Transition) for young people aged 13 to 25 with a disability or specific need. Transition is the journey of preparing, planning and moving from being a teenager to becoming an adult if you have a disability, specific need or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

Children with special educations needs and/or a disability (SEND), who are eligible for social care support, receive it from Children's services. Once you reach 18, you become an adult and support is then provided by social care services designed for adults.

Speech talk logo

The Youth Voice SEND group represents the young people of Buckinghamshire with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. In this Forum you will work on current issues that SEND young people face in Buckinghamshire. You will create a programme of work to improve services and support SEND young people.

Find out more about the SEND Youth Forum


As young people leave school, their health needs should be met by adult health services. The time of transfer will depend on the service.

Information logo

You can view all transitions and adulthood services and organisations registered on our website.

Autism Bucks provides advice and signposting support for people in transitions and adults with autism.

Chiltern Music Therapy is a not-for-profit organisation that provides music therapy service to people of all ages and many different needs.

Connexions is now delivered through Adviza. Their careers advisers provide information, advice and guidance to students of differing needs.

Macintyre has several locations in Bucks and provides support for a range of services including registered care homes, supported living, outreach, accredited training schemes and lifelong learning services, as well as a residential special school and further education provision.

Buckinghamshire Early Intervention Service is for 14 to 35-year-olds with first episode psychosis or at high risk of developing psychosis.

Comfort Care Services is a specialist care organisation providing supported housing for vulnerable adults with mental health needs, challenging behaviour, learning disabilities and individuals recovering from substance/alcohol misuse and other complex needs.

Care Advice Buckinghamshire is a website for adults in need of care and support in Buckinghamshire, their families and carers. You can find information and advice, ways to assess your own needs, community support and care products and services.

Talk Back is based in Amersham and aims to achieve choice, opportunity and respect for all people with a learning disability.

Buckinghamshire Safe Places Scheme for vulnerable people

Buckinghamshire County Council care for vulnerable adults

Feedback logo

If you have anything to say about the Local Offer, what you would like to see or what you found really helpful, just fill in our feedback form

Transitions Referral Form (Online Form)

Complete this referral form for a young person with special needs if you think they may need support from Adult Social Care services when they turn 18 years old. The referral will be received by the Transitions Team who will then make arrangements to assess the young person’s eligibility for Adult Social Care services.

If you are a parent or carer and would like to discuss a referral into Transitions please call 01296 395000 or email


Easy Guide to transition (PDF,  1.23MB)

Parent's mini guide (PDF, 1 MB)

The Preparing for Adulthood programme provides expertise and support to local authorities and their partners to embed preparing for adulthood from the earliest years.