Concerns or complaints about childminders and childcare providers
Ofsted are responsible for the regulation of childminders and childcare providers in England. Information about concerns and complaints to Ofsted helps them to identify where a registered person may not be meeting the requirements of registration. Ofsted will check to ensure that the registered person is complying with the requirements and if not will tell them what they must do. Ofsted will take enforcement action to make them do so.
Your childminder or childcare provider should inform you about the process of how to make your concerns known and the process to make a formal complaint to them. Most concerns can be resolved through discussion with the childminder or the person in charge of the childcare setting. If you cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue in this way then you can make a formal complaint to them and to Ofsted, in writing or by email. If your concern relates to a child protection or safeguarding children issue and any child could be at risk of harm, Ofsted and Social Care must be informed. Advice can be obtained by contacting:
- 01296 383962 (During normal office hours)
- 01494 675802 (out of hours)
- 0808 800 5000
0300 123 1231
The law requires all childcare providers to have procedures in place for parents who wish to make a complaint relating to the Early Years Foundation Stage. It requires them to:
- have a written complaints policy (childminders on the Early Years Register are not required to have a written policy but it is good practice to do so)
- take prompt and appropriate action if you have a concern
- fully investigate written and emailed complaints, giving an account of their findings within 28 days.
- tell you about any action taken they may have taken to improve, you can request confirmation in writing or as an email
- keep a record of all complaints and show it to parents on request.
Ofsted publications and factsheets with full details and information is available to download from the Ofsted website regarding Inspecting registered childcare providers and Complaining about a school or childcare provider