Transport for Children and Young People with SEND

Changes: from September 2019 changes to Home to School Transport came into effect following a consultation in March 2019. Read more about changes to school transport policy.

All children/young people are entitled to free transport to their nearest appropriate education setting if their home is over the statutory walking distance*. However, if the child/young person’s SEND means they are not able to walk (accompanied by an adult if necessary) the distance, for example, they are wheelchair users, they may be granted free transport on medical grounds (supporting medical evidence would be required). 

* Statutory walking distance is 2 miles for a child aged 7 and under, 3 miles for a child aged 8 and over.

For those children/young people who are allocated a place at a preferred education setting which is not the nearest one, parents will be responsible for funding and arranging suitable transport. The Integrated SEND Service will be able to advise you which is your nearest appropriate educational setting.

You can email:

The decision as to whether a student with an EHC Plan is entitled to home to school transport is made by the Buckinghamshire Council Integrated SEND Service when a school place is allocated. The Integrated SEND Service will write to parents informing them of their decision. Where transport is to be provided, the child/young person’s details will be shared with The Client Transport Special Needs Assessment Team who will contact the family to arrange a home visit to identify any particular transport or vehicle requirements. Transport may be provided via school bus, minibus or taxi depending on the individual circumstances. Please see the Buckinghamshire Council School Transport Policy - Section 2 and Section 3 for Post-16.

Transport for children/young people who do not have an EHC Plan is administrated by the Buckinghamshire Council Admissions Team.

The Council’s Client Transport team organises transport provision and monitors its safety and performance. They work with a wide variety of mainly local transport contractors who obtain contracts through a public tender process.  

Notice of any closures or disruption to school transport routes can be found on the closures website.


Related Information  

Transport, Travel and Discounts (SEND)

Transport and travel information for those with a special educational need or disability (SEND). Includes travel discounts and travel training.