Housing and Homelessness Information for Young People

You can find some great information on the Citizens Advice website that can help you if you are looking to leave home voluntarily or if you are forced to leave home, and where to go for further support.

Homelessness and eviction can be a serious worry and problem. Leaving home and looking after yourself may seem exciting, but it’s not easy. You might feel like you have no choice but to leave home or run away, but you don’t have to be sleeping on the streets to be considered homeless. You could be entitled to help in other circumstances, for example, if you are living in a hostel, staying with friends or are at risk of abuse and violence at home.

Sleeping rough is never a good idea and you could be putting yourself at risk. Find out if there is a local NIGHTSTOP scheme in your area. They provide emergency housing for the night for people aged 16 to 25. Check out the links on this page for more information and help.

Nightstop 01642 493 929

Help and Support by Age

  • 16 and under: The law states you must live with an adult who will look after you. If being at home is dangerous then you must talk to someone and discuss your concerns.
  • 16 to 17: Your local housing department is obliged to help you.  If you have been in care for 13 weeks since the age of 14 you should also receive support from social services.
  • 18 plus: If you are aged 18 and over and are homeless or are likely to become so, the housing department of your local council has to accept a homelessness application from you. If you are aged 18 to 21 and have been in care for at least one night whilst aged 16 or 17 you can also get help from social services and the housing department.

16 and 17-year-olds at risk of homelessness

If you don't have anywhere to stay, or you're having problems at home, you can contact Buckinghamshire Council's First Response Team who will signpost to help you understand what your options are. You will then be helped in finding local support and what to expect. If you're aged 16 or 17 the  First Response Team can help you. They can give you support and find you somewhere to stay if:

  • you can't return home and have nowhere else to live
  • you’re staying with friends or another family and have been asked to leave
  • your home is unsafe for you (for example, because you're at risk of violence or abuse)

First Response Team:

Emergency help for young people leaving home in a hurry

If you have to leave home in a hurry, try to arrange a place to stay before you leave. To survive on your own, and be able to claim benefits, it is very important that you take as many of these things with you as you can:

  • passport and birth certificate
  • national insurance number
  • driving licence, if you have one
  • medication or any personal items such as glasses or inhalers
  • cheque book, bank and credit cards
  • change of clothes/warm coat
  • toiletries
  • address book/mobile phone

More information on who can help you if you are homeless