Financial support for families affected by imprisonment

When a family member is imprisoned it can change your financial circumstances dramatically and mean there are changes you need to make.

Pound sign icon

If your partner has been claiming income support (or other benefits) for the family, it is important that you transfer this claim to yourself as soon as possible after your partner has been sent to prison, as you will become a ‘One Income Family’ (meaning only one parent has income coming in). The first thing you will need to do is book an appointment at a local Job Centre Plus (JCP) and talk through your circumstances, the adviser inform you of your entitlements.

Prisoners' Families Helpline:

Can provide you with free and friendly information, support and fact sheets on any benefits you may be entitled to and dealing with debt:

  • Freephone (including most mobiles): 0808 808 2003


The Money Advice Service

Set up by government, provides trusted information on money, debt and benefits:

  • Freephone: 08001 387 777 (Mon to Fri: 8am to 8pm, Sat: 9am to 1pm


Citizens Advice:

Citizens Advice are also a trusted source of information and can talk you through your options.

Show me Citizens Advice Services in Buckinghamshire