Transitions - Adult Social Care (SEND)

How social care services change when someone receiving care reaches adulthood.

What does transitions mean? Transition refers to the preparing, planning and move from teenager to adult for those who have a specific need or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan).

When a young person is approaching adulthood (18 years old) the responsibility for their social care will transfer from children’s services to adult health and social care services. From 16½ years of age, a young person is entitled to an assessment of their needs ahead of the transition.


  • Do the needs arise from a physical or mental impairment or illness?

  • Do these needs mean that the adult is unable to meet two or more of the listed outcomes?

  • Is there consequently a significant impact on the adult’s wellbeing?
  • Manage and maintain nutrition with specific regard to religious and cultural needs

  • Maintain personal hygiene

  • Manage toilet needs

  • Being appropriately clothed

  • Maintain a habitable home environment

Care Advice Buckinghamshire website

Features information on ways to assess your own needs, community support, care products and services, and more. The website also provides information for carers and relatives.

Complete this referral form for a young person with special needs if you think they may need support from Adult Social Care services when they turn 18 years old. The referral will be received by the Transitions Team who will then make arrangements to assess the young person’s eligibility for Adult Social Care services.

Transitions Referral Form (Online Form)

If you are a parent or carer and would like to discuss a referral into Transitions please call 01296 383204 or email