Jargon Buster - Transitions

This page explains the meaning of some things you might come across on the Transition Pathway. If you want more detailed information about what might happen each year then take a look at the year by year pages. If there is anything that you don’t understand you can ask your parents, carers or your teachers.

Transitions Plan

This plan is mostly about your education. It will talk about all of the things that need to happen to help you do what you want to do. This will include talking about things like what you would like to do in the future and whether you would like to stay at school, go to college or get a job. Once you turn 17 your Transitions Plan will also look at things like housing, health and any support you might need once you are an adult.

If you want to see a copy of your report you can ask your teacher or the SEND Integrated Service at Buckinghamshire Council.

Transition Review

This review is a meeting that happens every year from when you are in year 9 until you turn 18 or 19. There might be a lot of people asked to come to this meeting. All of the people that come will be involved in helping you such as your teachers and your social worker if you have one. Your parents and carers will also be invited. You should be asked to come along, or someone will ask you what you think before the meeting and then let you know what happened afterwards.

Sometimes this meeting happens as part of another review such as your LAC review or your Annual review. This meeting is meant to be all about you. It is called a ‘Person Centred Review’ because what you think and want is the most important thing.

Person-Centred Planning

Person-centred planning is a process of continual listening, and learning; focussed on what is important to someone now, and for the future; and acting upon this with their family and friends.

It means that the person is at the centre of planning their life. It is not simply a collection of new techniques for planning to replace any other plans. It is about seeing and thinking about people with impairments in the same way we think about ourselves and everyone else. Person-Centred Planning is about:

  • listening to and learning about what people want from their lives
  • helping people to think about what they want now and in the future
  • Family, friends, professionals and services all working together with the   person to make this happen
  • A commitment to keep learning about the person

One Page Profiles

One page profiles are the foundation for Person-Centred Plan (Essential Lifestyle Plan). They are record of what is important to someone and how best to support them.

Why should we do one?

From a one page profile you can use the “working and not working“ person centred thinking tool to create actions that build on what is working and address what is not working. You can then use information about what is not working to help you to decide which person centred tool to use next. This can then lead to an action plan which can make a positive difference to a person‘s life

One Page profiles should include the following:

  • What people like and admire about the young person
  • What is important to the young person
  • What is working and what is not working
  • What action needs to take place to address what is not working

Where can I find out more?

To see how this can work in practice please go to the Helen Anderson Associates website.

Education Health and Care Plans

At the annual review in the year prior to the young person leaving school, it will be important to discuss whether they need to continue their education to prepare them for their adult lives. If continuing in education is thought to be beneficial, the young person will be able to express a preference for a course and college they wish to attend.

Their views will be very carefully considered and where possible/appropriate a college placement will be arranged.

For young people who will require a high level of Support will have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) as part of preparing for adulthood. For young people who require a lower level of support, they will have an SEN Support Plan which will detail the support they require at college. 

Work experience

Depending on which school you are at you may get the chance to do some work experience. The year before you do your work experience you will probably start to find out more about what work experience involves. It is a good idea to start thinking about where you might like to do your work experience early to make sure you get your first choice. If you need any help, or if you are not sure if your school does work experience, then talk to your teacher.

Adults and Family Wellbeing Service

The Adults and Family Wellbeing service are Adult Social Care. They provide support and help to adults who need it.